Over the last couple of years, hiring has largely shifted from in-person to remote recruitment. In a survey by HireVue, 41% of 1,140 respondents said they would use virtual and in-person interviews. And 23% of the respondents plan to make their recruitment process completely virtual.
What does remote recruitment mean?
Remote recruitment is the act of sourcing candidates, interviewing and onboarding them without any physical interaction. Using digital tools, you can conduct the entire hiring process virtually. Unlike traditional in-person recruitment, candidates can participate in the hiring process from their homes. It saves both the candidate’s and the recruiter’s time and effort.
Challenges of in-person recruitment
The traditional in-person recruitment limits the recruiters at various stages:
- Processing and screening could be time-consuming: In traditional in-person recruitment, candidates must travel to a location. Later, they are required to write a test. It becomes a hefty task both for the candidates and the recruiter.
- Lack of flexibility: In a traditional setting, recruiters are limited to getting the job done only on working days and when they are at their desks.
- Onsite interviews can sometimes be inconvenient: when the recruitment team and the candidates are required to travel for an onsite interview, the absence of one or the other person may become the reason for cancelling or rescheduling the interview.
- Slow hiring: In-person recruitment is subject to interruptions and unexpected obstacles that may happen in an office setting. Also, manually screening and interviewing the candidates is time taking.
How will remote recruitment help your organisation?
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the office setting was the preferred way of recruitment. The sudden shift to remote working has made recruitment a struggle initially. However, remotely done online recruiting can become easier by figuring out appropriate tools and technologies to communicate and collaborate efficiently.
Also, technology can accelerate the entire hiring process. Indeed, many recruiters are willing to use online recruitment or a combination of both in-person and remote recruitment. It is becoming fruitful in many ways:
- Remote recruitment is faster: Hiring is faster and more effective when you virtually hire and onboard candidates. Recruiters can conduct more interviews in less time. Online screening and virtual assessment can save a lot of time.
- Remote recruitment gives flexibility: In contrast to in-person recruitment, in the virtual recruitment process, candidates and recruiters can schedule and reschedule interview calls based on availability. Also, the candidates and the hiring managers may not have to take time off to participate in the recruitment process.
- Remote recruitment reduces hiring costs: Virtual hiring saves you from expensive in-person hiring. You will have the chance to evaluate many candidates and save time, resources, and hiring costs, provided you use an efficient recruitment software like PyjamaHR and know how to test candidates remotely.
Things to keep in mind for remote recruitment
If you are shifting to remote recruitment, optimise the hiring process right from the beginning.
- Restructure the application process: 60% of applicants leave it midway because they find it complex and lengthy. (HireVue). If you feel like the application process is lengthy, make it short and ask fewer questions. Also, ensure that the application process is mobile-friendly so that more candidates complete the application process and you have a wider talent pool.
- Keep candidates engaged: Engage with candidates so that they feel important. Use automation to engage with many candidates at once by:
- Consistently updating the candidates on each step; and
- Giving them feedback
- Use an applicant tracking system: The next step is screening and shortlisting the most qualified candidate after receiving applications. The best way to do this is by using an applicant tracking system like the PyjamaHR, which effectively stores, manages and processes applications to deliver an ideal hire.
- Know how to test candidates in remote recruiting: Apart from domain knowledge and core subject skills, you must pay attention to testing candidates for competencies:
- Communication skills
- Professional tone
- Know how to conduct remote interviews: Speedy scheduling, planned interviews and easy onboarding will supplement your efforts. The main usage of video calling platforms like Zoom, Google meet, and Microsoft teams is to make collaboration easy. The PyjamaHR video interview feature could be the right way to conduct remote interviews where you can view candidate profiles without switching tabs. Also, you must:
- Check for internet connectivity and video processing issues
- Establish an effective face-to-face online interaction
You can benefit from remote hiring with the right tools and technology. From breaking geographical restrictions to speeding up hiring to budget, remote recruitment will support your business goals and cut down recruitment costs. The PyjamaHR applicant tracking system can help you efficiently attract and hire remotely. You will have the advantage of hiring distant candidates and hence can have a larger talent pool.